Home | SOCIETIES | Grenfell Tower fire: Full details of all the missing people

Grenfell Tower fire: Full details of all the missing people

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
image Four of the missing people - Facebook/Handout

...People have been desperately searching for their loved ones who live in the building as people appeared to be trapped inside....

The London Fire Brigade has confirmed that there have been at least 17 fatalities in the Grenfell Tower fire, which consumed the block in west London in the early hours of the morning.

People have been desperately searching for their loved ones who live in the building as people appeared to be trapped inside.

The leader of Kensington and Chelsea Borough Nick Paget-Brown said "several hundred" people would have been in the block when the fire broke out.

Children are believed to be among those missing, as school students search for their friends.

There were reports that fire alarms in the main building did not go off, and residents were woken up and saved by neighbours banging on their doors, as well as screams of terror from others who lived in the building.

There were unconfirmed reports on social media of residents using bedsheets as makeshift ropes while others were reportedly seen jumping for their lives.

Fathaya Alsanousi


Fathaya Alsanousi
View photos
Fathaya Alsanousi


An elderly woman, in her 70s, was stuck in her 23rd floor flat along with son Abu Feras, 38, and daughter Esra Ibrahim, 35. 

Abufars Ibrahim has been confirmed as dead by the coroner, but his mother and sister are still missing.

Raina Ibrahim and two daughters


Facebook - Credit: Facebook
View photos
Raina Ibrahim and her two daughters Credit: Facebook


Rania Ibrahim and her two daughters, Fathia, five, and Hania, three, have not been seen since the fire. 

They were last seen in a Facebook Live in which she she desperately sought help in the smoke-filled corridor before going out to a balcony. 

They lived on the 23rd floor.

Family member Ali Ahmed said: "My brother hasn’t seen his wife and two daughters.

"No-one has seen them – we just came back from the hospital."

Maria Del Pilar Burton


Facebook - Credit: Facebook
View photos
Credit: Facebook


It appears she has been found! 

A reader tells The Telegraph: "My aunt and uncle were trapped in the Grenfell Tower inferno on the 16th floor but managed to make it downstairs themselves. They were taken to the hospital in Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, and stayed there for 2 days. Next to them was Maria Del Pilar Burton (65), she was all alone.

"She had alzheimer so she kept forgetting what had happened. I personally spoke to her and she kept telling me that she bought her flat. I am writing to inform you that she is safe and was in hospital next to my aunt and uncle.

"She is not missing, she was in the same hospital as my family."

The worried husband of a 65-year-old woman with Alzheimer's woke up in hospital after escaping the blaze.

His wife was not with him but he is certain she escaped.

He has put out an appeal, hoping someone has seen her.

Simon, a resident who helped the pensioner outside the burning building, said: "We were helping downstairs in the building to get people out.

"Nicholas does not know where Maria is and she has Alzheimer's, but we know she got out. He's desperate to find her."

Lucas James

A tearful teenager who fears her younger brother may have died in the Grenfell Tower blaze has thanked the community for their overwhelming support.

The 16-year-old, who did not wish to be named, is desperately trying to find her brother Lucas James, 12, who was staying with a friend on the 17th floor of the block.

The girl, who also lived in Grenfell Tower with her mother on the eighth floor is currently staying at Westway Sports Centre – which has thrown open its doors to hundreds of people left without a home.

Recalling the events of Wednesday morning she said: ''My mum heard some shouting, she heard people screaming help help help.

''She looked out the window and saw the fire coming round to our side.

''Firemen helped us out, but my brother was visiting a friend on the 17th floor and he did not get out. We cannot find him, we have been going round hospitals.''

The girl, who was clutching a carrier bag stuffed with clothes, thanked the public for their support.

She added: ''It's so generous, in the bible God's will is to help people and that is what the community are doing.

''I think it's so nice that people are helping and giving.''

5-year-old Isaac Shawo 

Missing Isaac
View photos
Missing Isaac

Genet Shawo and her husband Paulos Petakle were trying to escape the fire, fighting their way through thick, black smoke.

They were making their way to safety with children Luca, 3, and Isaac, 5. 

However, in the confusion, Isaac, who was holding a neighbour's hand, got lost in the smoke and hasn't been heard from since.

Choking back tears, Mrs Shawo told the Evening Standard: “I will not fear the worse, I am still hoping and praying for him. He is a beautiful boy.

“He told us during the fire that he didn’t want us to die.”

“My neighbour said he would hold him and bring him down. But when I got outside I realised Isaac wasn’t there.

“I have been to all the emergency centres, all the hospitals and there is no news of him.

"I just want help, anyone who has any information can they please come forward.”

Mariem Elgwahry


The young woman is missing
View photos
The young woman is missing


Friends and family of Mariem Elgwahry are searching for her after she went missing.

She last spoke to her mother at 2.30am and has not been heard from since.

Her loved ones are scouring hospitals and community centres to find her.

Her friend said: "Please let me know if you see Mariem Elgwahry. She was on the 19th floor Grenfell tower. Last someone heard from her was 2.30AM she was with her mum!! Please let anyone know if she has been located thank you for all your help please share!! I've been to the rugby club, harrow club Laymer Christian church with no luck yet."

Her mother Suhar is also believed to be missing.

Abdel Salam

75-year-old Abdel Salam was in his flat on the 22nd floor when he called his sons, who were coming back from a nearby mosque when they noticed the blaze.

Mohammed Lariche, 44, a friend of Abdel's, told The Sun:  "His sons had been to the mosque and they had seen the fire at about 1.30am.

"They called Abdel and he said to them, 'I can't breathe, I can't move'.

"He was in the flat on the 23rd floor on his own, he was overcome.

"Abdel was a nice guy, quite a short old man with a long beard.

"He used to visit the mosque and was well known in the community."

Family 'lost in blaze'

Relatives of a family of five fear they were all wiped out in the blaze after being stuck on the 21st floor during the Grenfell Tower fire.

Abdul Aziz el-Wahabi, 52, his wife Faouzia el-Wahabi, 42, and their three children, Yasin, 21, Nurhuda, 15, and Mehdi, eight, have not been heard from and they appear to have died after being told to stay in their house by the fire brigade.

Otman Boujettif, 42, a cousin, said: “We spoke to them at about 1.30am but they’d been told by the fire brigade to stay in their flat, put towels down, wet the floors and wait."


Yasin el-Wahabi - Credit: Supplied
View photos
Yasin el-Wahabi Credit: Supplied


He continued, saying that relatives had been round rescue centres and emergency wards while hunting for the family.

The top floors of the 24-story tower block have not been checked for bodies, and fire officers told the family to "expect the worst".

Hanan el-Wahabi, the sister of Abdul el-Wahabi, managed to escape the fire.


Nurhuda - Credit: Supplied
View photos
Nurhuda Credit: Supplied


She lived on the ninth floor and told him to leave. She said: "I told him to leave. He said he was going to come. Then I called him and he said there was too much smoke."

“The last time I saw him they were waving out the window. The last time I spoke to his wife, he was on the phone to the fire brigade.”

A family member told the Evening Standard: "We fear they have all been wiped out."

Ahmed Chellat, 60, is the brother-in-law of Faouzia el-Wahabi and is waiting for news.

Mr Chellat said: “I was on the phone to her saying, ‘get out’. But she said they had been told to stick towels under the door, stay inside and wait to be rescued.

“She said, ‘Smoke is coming under the doors’, then I got cut off. That is the last time I heard from her.”

Sheila Smith

84-year-old Sheila Smith hasn't been seen since the fire. 

Her son Adam Smith appealed for information about his mother.  Sheila is believed to have been living at flat 132 in the building.

Zainab Dean


Zainab Dean
View photos
Zainab Dean


A number of residents may have perished in the fire after being told to stay inside their flats by the emergency services.

Francis Dean, 47, said his sister Zainab told him on the phone she had been instructed to remain in her 14th floor flat with her two year old son Jeremiah by fire fighters.

He told The Telegraph: "My sister called me to say there was a fire in the tower. I told her to leave by the stairs but she said she had been told to stay inside her flat. That was in the early hours of today and I've not heard from her since. I fear the worst."

Mr Dean, who works for a distribution firm, said that at one stage a fire fighter borrowed his phone and spoke to Zainab.


Zainab Dean's son
View photos
Zainab Dean's son


"He told her to keep calm and that they were coming to get her. He kept saying that to her again and again," he said. "But then he handed me the phone and said to me 'Tell her you love her'. I knew then to fear the worst. The phone went dead and I couldn't talk to her."

Mr Dean said: "I don't understand why she was told to stay where she was. I was urging her to escape by the stairs.

"I'm so upset. Jeremiah was a wonderful boy, always happy, always smiling. He loved playing football with me."

Others also told how their loved ones had been instructed to remain in their flats.

Jamal Ali, 28, said his aunt, Zainab Ali, had been told by police to stay in her flat but she had ignored them, fleeing to safety with her five children down the stairs.

"The police were telling her to stay inside, but she ran down the stairs with her kids and managed to get away – otherwise she'd be dead."

Mr Ali also said other relatives in the block had told him the fire alarm had only begun to sound 30 minutes after the fire started.

Jessica Urbano

Ana Ospina said her 12-year-old niece Jessica was missing in the fire. 

Jessica's other aunt, Sandra, wrote: "If anyone sees Jessica she should come to The Harrow Centre where the family are waiting for her. Or speak to any police officer to guide her".

She said Jessica may have been seen getting into an ambulance, and has been checking with local hospitals.

Sandra told The Mirror: "We haven't heard from her. Somebody gave her a phone and she rang her mum at 1.29am and at 1.39am.

"She was with a group of people in the fire escape, in the fire stairs, they live on the 20th floor and my sister-in-law was just coming back from work, as was my older niece.

"Jessica called her to say this has happened and she was only a few minutes away.

"That's the last they've heard of her."

Sandra added: "She will be 13 next month so we're desperately worried.

"She would have been in her bed clothes and she will be very, very, very scared.

"We're just desperate to find her."

Her sister Melanie said the family received a call at about 4am from somebody to say they had seen her being put into an ambulance.

But Melanie said they have not heard any more news since the call.

She said: "We heard a couple of hours ago that she was seen in the area and that she was getting into an ambulance.

"Someone in the area saw her."

Melanie said the hospital has not been able to confirm whether Jessica was taken there.

She said: "They don't know anything. They don't have lists or anything like that."

Melanie does not live in the flats, where Jessica was staying in the 20th floor when the fire started, but said she went there at about 1.15am, shortly after the fire broke out.

She said: "I came at like 1.15am when the fire was starting and they evacuated everyone. I had to tell them my sister was gone."

She said some of the family is now waiting at the hospital, where many of the injured people have been taken.

Melanie said: "My dad was in the building on the sixth floor. The fire was pretty much coming through his window.

"My mum was not there, she came running as well."

Ali Yawar Jafari


The elderly man is missing
View photos
The elderly man is missing


Hamid Ali Jafari said that his 82-year-old father Ali Yawar Jafari had not been seen since the early hours of the morning as the family were trying to escape the blaze. 

He said: "He was with my mother and sister in the lift and she said the lift stopped on the tenth floor and he said there was too much smoke and he couldn't breathe and he got out of the lift and then the doors shut and it didn't stop again till the ground floor."

Mr Jafari, who rushed to the scene from his home in Camden when he heard there was a fire, had tried to get in to find him but had been blocked by the emergency services. They had not be able to find him at any of the hospitals. 

Hamid Kani


The family has asked for information 
View photos
The family has asked for information 


The 61-year-old Iranian lived on the 15th floor of the tower block.

Saber Neda


 SWNS.com - Credit:  SWNS.com
View photos
The family of an 'injured' dad who told his wife and son to flee the burning Grenfell Tower while he stayed behind have issued a desperate appeal to find him Credit:  SWNS.com


The family of an "injured" dad who told his wife and son to flee the burning Grenfell Tower while he stayed behind have issued a desperate appeal to find him.

Saber Neda who lived in a top-floor flat, is feared dead after the fire ripped through the 24-storey building.

While his wife Shakila, 45, and son Farhad, 24, fled the blaze, but Saber's family say he stayed behind because he was injured.

The 57-year-old was last heard from at 2.20am when he made a frantic phone call to a relative to say that the building was burning and that there was "no help".

Saber, whose birth name is Mohamed, is understood to have parted with Shakila and university graduate Farhad at 3.30am but hasn't been seen since.

The father-of-one's nephew Reshad Habib, who lives in the Netherlands, said: "We are all trying to find him.

"He was last heard from at 3.30am when he told his wife and son to leave him. He said that they had to get out.

"He said they should go and he would follow.

"We all don't know the exact reason why he waited behind, but we think he was injured or something.

"They were both taken to hospital. We don't know how they are.

"We haven't heard anything from my uncle since.

"They had been living for 20 years in that flat and they lived on the very top floor of the building.

"We got a call when the fire started. He said there was a big fire at the flat and that there was no help at the moment. That was at 2.20am.

"His wife and child are OK. I have talked briefly to his son. My auntie and him are in different hospitals from each other in a stable condition.

"We just hope that they will find him."

Briket and Buroke Haftom

Briket Haftom kindly let missing 12-year-old Jessica Urbano call her mother as she tried to get her neighbour down the stairs.

A friend wrote:  "We believe they were all together whilst trying to evacuate Grenfell. If anyone has seen or heard any info regarding them please get in touch. Does anyone recall seeing them being led out of the building or into an ambulance? Both children are 12 years old. Praying that all 3 are found safe!"

They lived on the 18th floor.

Ms Haftom’s sister Selam told the Evening Standard: “I don’t know what to think any more, what can I think? There is no news at the hospitals, at the community centres.

"No-one has information to give me, they just say they don’t have anyone with their names. I’m so worried.”

Buroke’s teacher Mengs Berhane added: “This boy is an academic star, really going places. I teach him science he is wonderful. I am doing all I can to find news, this is a tragedy.”

Khadija Khalloufi

A retired lecturer lost his wife in the blaze.

Sabah Abdullah, 72, was leading his wife, Khadija Khalloufi, 52, down the smoke-filled stairs when he lost her in the stampede.

He told the Mail: "I feel lost. I don’t know what’s going on. I just want my wife back".

They lived on the 17th floor.

Bangladeshi family

Bangladeshi newspaper the Dhaka Tribune has raised concerns about a missing family.

Komru Miah, 82, his wife Razia Begum, 65, and their children, Abdul Hanif, 29, Abdul Hamid, 26, and Hosna Begum Tanima, 22, lived on the 16th floor.

A family friend said: "We are all just waiting and praying for some good news."

Sakineh Afraseiabi and Fatima Afraseiabi

The pair lived on floor 18.

A concerned friend wrote on Facebook: "Friend from my work hasn't heard anything from her mum and aunty pictured below who both lived in Grenfell Tower."

And another said: "Please share this. We are missing two aunties. If anyone has any news please contact me. Thanks"

Marjorie and Ernie Vital


Camilla Turner - Credit: Camilla Turner
View photos
Credit: Camilla Turner


Mimi Delson said that her 67-year-old aunt Marjorie Vital and her cousin Ernie, 43, were both missing. 

"Ernie was staying with his mother, they were on the 16th floor," said Ms Delson, 45, who lives locally. 

"We've been to all the hospitals to look for them. Marjorie has been living in the flat almost since it was built. She moved over here from Dominica when she was a girl. She is well known in the community."

Ms Delson said that her children were classmates with lots of children from Grenfell Tower, at Kensington Academy. "My children have lost a lot of their friends," she said. 

Nura Jamal and young family

A young family who lived on the 20th floor is missing.

Firdaws Kidir, 11, and Yahya Kidir, 13, are missing along with their brother Yaqub, 6, their mother Nura Jamal and father Hashim Kidir.

Mother of three Nura Jamal rang a friend while trapped in the Grenfell Tower blaze to tell her she feared she was about to die, it emerged on Wednesday.

The woman, named locally as Nura Jamal, called her friend at around 2am and said: "Forgive me, the fire is here, I'm dying."

One of her children, a daughter, is understood to have escaped from the fire and is now being treated in hospital.

Hibo Yussuf, 35, a friend of the missing woman, told The Telegraph: "We've heard that Nura's daughter is in hospital but hasn't been able to get hold of her mum. Nura called one of her friends to say 'Forgive me, the fire is here, I'm dying.'

"Now we don't know where she is or if she's dead or alive."

Mrs Yussuf said a teaching assistant from Avondale Primary School called Nadia was also missing, along with her husband and mother in law.

"They lived on the 22nd floor. I don't know what's happened to them. It's so horrible," she said.

Ligaya Moore


 PA - Credit:  PA

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted):

total: | displaying:

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

  • email Email to a friend
  • print Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
No tags for this article
Rate this article