Home | WORLD News | MIDDLE EAST | At least 11 [Saudi] princes and 38 former government ministers have now been detained

At least 11 [Saudi] princes and 38 former government ministers have now been detained

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
image Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman attends the Future Investment Initiative (FII) conference in Riyadh, on October 24, 2017

Saudi Arabia could seize $800 BILLION in assets from the kingdom's elite as part of anti-corruption purge

  • They have all had their bank accounts frozen and risk having their assets seized
  • Saudi Arabia's government said it will confiscate assets involved in corruption
  • With list of names growing, the figure is thought to be in the hundreds of billions

Saudi Arabia could seize $800 billion in assets from the kingdom's elite as part of its anti-corruption purge. 

So far at least 11 princes and 38 former government ministers have been detained in the crackdown ordered by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, though there are said to be more names on the hit list. 

They have all had their bank accounts frozen and risk having their assets and properties seized by the government as it attempts to flush out fraud in Saudi Arabia.

As the net is cast wider by government officials, the hierarchy are said to be eyeing up cash and assets worth around $800billion, according to Wall Street Journal who quoted sources close to the matter. 

It is believed the number of those detained has now reached more than 60, but that the government is watching more notable figures.  

Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal is one of the men who has been detained

Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal is one of the men who has been detained

Saudi billionaire Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal - who is one of the richest men in the world and owns the British capital's top hotel the Savoy - is one of the men who has been detained.

He also owns the huge Kingdom Tower in Riyadh - a 99-storey skyscraper which features a Four Seasons hotel, luxury apartments and a shopping maul. 

The Saudi information ministry stated the government would seize any asset or property related to the alleged corruption, meaning London's Savoy hotel could become state property in the kingdom.

Meanwhile, in an astonishing move, Saudi Arabia princes fleeing the purge have been offered asylum in Yemen by the same rebels they are bombing. 

Houthi rebels have made the offer of political asylum to princes and a source told Al Jazeera on Tuesday that any Saudi prince or national seeking refuge would be 'welcomed' by Yemen, their 'brotherly neighbour'.

'We are ready to offer sanctuary to any member of the Al Saud family or any Saudi national that wants to flee oppression and persecution,' the source said. 

But the ministry today sought to reassure investors the sweeping anti-corruption purge would not affect businesses, including those with ties to arrested suspects, as authorities appeared to widen the crackdown.

Dozens of high-profile figures including princes, ministers were arrested at the weekend in the biggest purge of the kingdom's elite in modern Saudi history.

The crackdown has triggered uncertainty among businesses that could intensify capital flight or derail reforms, experts say, at a time when the kingdom is seeking to attract badly needed investments amid a protracted oil slump.

Authorities have frozen the bank accounts of the accused and warned that any assets related to the corruption cases would be seized as state property.

'It is worth clarifying that concerned individual accounts rather than their corporate businesses have been put in suspension until final court rulings,' central bank chief Ahmed Abdulkarim AlKholifey said in a statement. 

'In other words, corporate businesses remain unaffected. 

'It is business as usual for both banks and corporates,' he said, adding that there were no restrictions on money transfers through legal banking channels.

Separately, Saudi commerce minister Majid al-Qasabi said that companies, including those owned by the arrested elites, will be accorded 'full protection' under the law.

Local media has reported new arrests of well-known businessmen since the weekend crackdown, including Naser bin Aqeel al-Tayyar, the founder of one of Saudi Arabia's biggest travel companies

In a statement to Saudi stock exchange, his company said it was aware of reports of Tayyar's arrest, adding it confirms the 'continuation of business to serve the interests of shareholders and customers'.

With the purge, which analysts describe as a bold but risky power play, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman appears to have centralised power to a degree that is unprecedented in recent Saudi history.

US President Donald Trump has voiced support for the crackdown, saying some of those arrested had been 'milking their country for years'.

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted):

total: | displaying:

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

  • email Email to a friend
  • print Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
Tags
No tags for this article
Rate this article
0